Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A Long Story

For the last 2 or 3 months I have trying to line up an author formerly from mainland China, presently from San Francisco Bay area to come and speak to our students. I have read her book called "Red Scarf Girl" and I knew it would be great for our students to hear about her experiences during the cultural revolution and Mao Tse Tung era. Well, last night she came and stayed with us and then spoke to our school. She flew to Las Vegas rented a car and drove to Aurora last night. We had a nice visit with her last evening and she reminded me so much of Rie for some reason so I just felt like I knew her. This morning she came and had a brunch with our Sterling Scholar students and they interacted well with her and then helped her set up for the assembly.

I really don't know how to describe the feeling at the assembly but the students were so quiet you could have heard a pin drop. She first laid out the background for the time period and what was going on and then told her and her family's story and what happened to them. The part I thought was best was in the very end when someone asked her a question and her answer was that "we should never let any leader or political party dominate or completely control us or our government." It made me count my blessings to live in America where we still have the freedoms to express ourselves and act of our own free will. All in all it was an extraordinary experience for me and good for our school. I certainly learned a lot and stretched a little.

She was amazed that Scott was a "real cowboy". She said she had never met one. We put her in the "horse room" and she loved the picture of Scott and some of the kids on "Nellie". Also it helped to have the exposure to Asia through Jed's mission to Hong Kong and having Rie as an exchange student because we understand a little more of their ways and customs. Thanks Everyone!

2 comments:

Tarah said...

Yea, it's over, and it all turned out really well! Congratulations for 'doing hard things'. We all knew you could do it, and are very proud of you. Just out of curiosity what did she think of your chickens? What did you end up doing to entertain? Wish I could have been at the assembly, sounds really neat.

Anonymous said...

That's really cool that you had her stay at your place. Do these students realize all the sacrifices you do in their behalf? That would have been neat to hear her story, I know its probably outlined in her book so I could probably check it out and read it, but you know my history with reading.

Did you talk about religion at all? I love that Scott is a real Cowboy too!