I am listening to the autobiography of Benjamin Franklin.....so, watch out family. I have been so inspired by his life's philosophy and dedication that I am determined to apply some of his virtues to my life. Every Friday night he would join with other men in a club where they would discuss problems and cures for those problems. For instance, they discussed the problem of house fires and how these fires would destroy homes and it was hopeless to try to save their homes when a fire began. From this discussion stemmed the first volunteer fire department. They also saw a need to have access to information and books. At that time people could only afford to buy a few books and then they would share with their friends. So began the first subscription library. People would pay a subscription and with that money they purchased books and then everyone donated their own personal libraries so they could have all the books in the same building. They had fines for double the price of the book if someone didn't return the book. Well.......I just thought it would be fun to pose a question or problem on my blog and have a discussion and see what we could come up with.
This week's question is: In our different circumstances and different places, how can we make family heritage a part of our lives? How do you do it in your families? How can we connect more effectively as an extended Eternal family?
1 comment:
Regarding last week's question, I'll attempt an answer! Blogs are great to stay connected, although you'll probably never see one from me! Christmas letters, family letters, and summer family reunions are the ways we attempt to stay connected. I do feel that the third generation (our kids) don't stay as well connected as I think the first generation (Mom and Dad C) were with their cousins and that makes me a little sad. We attempt to keep those connections with our family reunions and that is the sole purpose of them although its getting harder to get everyone to them. Which leads me to this summer's Christensen reunion which I'm looking into going to Rifle Falls State Park in Rifle, CO about 1/2 way between Grand Junction and Glenwood Springs. It has a lake to swim and boat in and a camp ground.
As for if goldfish sleep, Kylie answers, "No, because if they did, they would drown!" Kenzie says, "Yes, they do, but they still are swimmings as they sleep." Devin thinks that they just rest because they don't have eyelids.
Post a Comment