Sunday, February 1, 2009

Things My Mother Taught Me

This weekend I have worked on and finally completed a pieced quilt that I was asked to make for the humanitarian effort of our ward. As I was sewing away yesterday my thoughts drifted to my mother and the valuable things that she has taught me. I thought of all the haircuts I have given to the men in my life, the things I have learned about sewing and the enjoyment received from creating something of use, the money I have saved from learning to do things myself, the enjoyment received from learning to sing, play the piano and dance as a child, and the joy I have received from doing a job well. These are all things that either my mother taught me or allowed me the opportunity to learn. None of them do I do to her level of perfection.....but, I have learned them sufficient to receive a level of enjoyment from them and they have benefited me in some way. I guess the older I get the more I learn to appreciate my heritage from my parents and grandparents. As I have worked on our family lines it has impressed upon me the caliber of people that I have come from. Most all joined the church in its infancy and stayed true to the principles of the gospel. These were all people of faith and diligence. It makes me realize that they have done what they needed to in their earth life to receive exaltation. I cannot make it where they are on their credentials but must work for my own exaltation. But...I know I can do it...because, they did it.

Today, please respond to one of the following.........Share something you have learned from a family member, or What did the Donkey say to the Sheep?

2 comments:

Kimball said...

I liked the comment where you said that your parents "allowed you the opportunity to learn". Because when I was reading your thoughts, I was thinking that I didn't learn as much from my mother as you did. I didn't have any interest in sewing or such things, but I was allowed to follow my own interests and gain some other skills that have brought me great joy in my life. Unfortunately, I should have paid more attention and learned more in the do-it-yourself projects category than I did even though I do have a husband that does very well in that category. I learn something every day from the people around me, whether I do the things I learn from others is a different story. My kids teach me much, but they don't know what the donkey said to the sheep!

Anonymous said...

I learned form My sister Denise and from your wonderful son,(my hubby,) that you have to let other people serve you, it fulfills their needs and who am I to deny them those blessings? In turn I have felt a stronger desire to do kind things for others because my heart has been humbled through other peoples service to me in my life. The donkey said, hey, at least your not a Jackass.(that was jed)